The Grand Marais Art Colony fosters the exploratory growth and experimental power of contemporary artists.
Who We Are
Boundary Waters are to the north; Lake Superior is to the south. We explore visual arts in that liminal space between. We exist to advance the aesthetic inquiries and experimentations of artists. We are an artist-centered space offering residencies, studio sessions, and exhibitions. We are a welcoming community that supports risk-taking and self-discovery; we are an immersive gathering place where you can germinate and exchange ideas, inspirations and techniques.
What We Believe
- Artistic expression connect us with our internal and external lives
- Artists need time, space, and uninterrupted focus to create work
- Dialogue and partnership are critical for all stages of creative development
- Dialogue enhances the artistic process and develops shared understanding
- Connecting through the arts forges robust communities