For nearly 75 years, the Grand Marais Art Colony has supported the work of artists and writers. We are heading outside the shared studio space to the virtual realm. We invite you to continue in your practice with the support of a mentor, who can provide you with input, accountability, and additional direction or resources.
Mentoring sessions are one-hour in length, tailored to address your aesthetic, professional, and craft questions. Upon registration, students will receive a survey to select a mentor subject and tell us more about their needs.
Ernest is available to connect with artists on the following topics:
- Portfolio Review
- Input and guidance on current in-progress work
- Goal setting for short and long-term projects
- Get out of the Box: Exercises for experimentation and risk-taking
- Discussion of materials and supplies
- Marketing: matching your artistic vision with how you share your work
- Identifying professional opportunities, such as exhibitions, residencies, or funding sources
- Crafting an artist statement or bio
- Studio practice and developing a sustainable work environment
Ernest Miller is a ceramic artist residing in Minneapolis, Minnesota. His work is exhibited in various regional and national art fairs, including the Uptown Art Fair in Minneapolis, Minnesota; the Plaza Art Fair in Kansas City, Missouri; and the Smithsonian Craft Show in Washington, DC. Ernest’s ceramic techniques are shared through teaching clay classes at Fired Up Studios in Minneapolis and the Minnetonka Center for the Arts in Wayzata, Minnesota. He has a BA from Eastern Illinois University in Charleston.
- Various Wednesdays | 9 – 10 AM and 1 – 2 PM
November 11, 2020 - February 17, 2021
9:00 am - 10:00 am